70 Acts of Service to Celebrate 70 Years of Service!
To celebrate 70 years of service, we’re committing to 70 ACTS of service from partnering with the Make-A-Wish Foundation to hosting community blood drives. But we need your help! If you have an act of service you think we should complete this year, we want to hear from you! Submit your idea below for consideration as we make our 70th year one to remember.
Our Acts of Service
Throughout the rest of this year, we’ll be updating this page with photos and information about what we are doing in the community for these acts of service.
- Make A Wish Toy Drive | We collected over 400 toys and gift cards that will be used to welcome Wish Kids and their families into the Make A Wish program.
- Main Street Clean Sweep Frankfort | Commonwealth Credit Union employees donated their time to help clean up downtown Frankfort and Riverview Park with the Bluegrass Green Source Main Street Clean Sweep.
- Hammond Creek Dog Park Clean Up | Commonwealth Credit Union employees donated their time to help clean up the Hammond Creek Dog Park in Lawrenceburg with the Bluegrass Green Source Main Street Clean Sweep. We believe in helping keep our earth clean!
- Overlook Deck Clean Sweep | Commonwealth Credit Union employees donated their time to help clean up the Overlook Deck in Downtown Versailles with the Bluegrass Green Source Main Street Clean Sweep.
- Mercer County Main Street Clean Sweep | Commonwealth Credit Union employees donated their time to help clean up the Lions Community Center Carport with the Bluegrass Green Source Main Street Clean Sweep.
- Blood Drive | In partnership with the American Red Cross, our team put together a Blood Drive at our High Street Branch. Volunteers put together snack bags for the donors and managed the donor appointments, filling up all of the available donor times.
- Make A Wish Toy Closet | When a child enters the Wish program, it can be somewhat of an overwhelming and scary time for them and their family. With so much uncertainty at that time, one thing the child can depend on is a fuzzy friend, a special doll, or an action hero figure that will be by their side from start to finish. In partnership with Make A Wish, we created the region's first Toy Closet that will be the centralized site for Wish toys, such as these, to be housed. The toy closet is located at our Hamburg Branch.
- Blessing Box | Team members collected items and filled blessing boxes around Harrodsburg. They filled the boxes with non-perishable food items.
- Donation for Mental Health Bags | We provided "mental health kits" to students in Anderson Co. to help them over summer vacation.
- Longest Day of Play | Commonwealth Credit Union donated water to the longest day of play in Lawrenceburg. We strive to better the lives of those in our communities.
- Ribbon Cutting for Make A Wish Toy Closet | Commonwealth Credit Union officially opened the Make A Wish Toy Closet at our Hamburg Branch in Lexington. We invited our Make A Wish kids and their families to the ribbon-cutting for a night of fun and toys.
- High School Scholarships | Commonwealth Credit Union awarded four high school seniors scholarships for college. Their submissions showed thoughtfulness, creativity, and a passion for bettering lives. We are proud to better the lives of students within our communities and help reward their academic achievements.
- Simon House Collection | Our Frankfort branches collected non-perishable food, cleaning supplies, and clothing items for the Simon House, located in Frankfort, Kentucky. The Simon House serves people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. They desperately needed items for their emergency shelter, which reached capacity in June 2021. The employees at our CCU branches in Frankfort donated 324 food, cleaning, and clothing items to the shelter.
LCCC’s Russell Resource Community Day | We volunteered time at LCCC’s Russell Resource Community Day. The community came together to provide a fun and resourceful event to the Russell Community. From free shoes to free books, it was a great event. We connected with community members to share the tools and resources we have to empower families in their journey to financial success – a critical part of the effort to advance equity.
Make-A-Wish Barbasol Suite Family Day | We hosted two Make-A-Wish families in our Suite at the 2021 Barbasol Championship for Family Day. Make-A-Wish is one of the 5 charities of the Barbasol’s Caddie127, their charitable arm. Together, we are bettering the lives of children across the Bluegrass.
#FeedTheWest with Change Today, Change Tomorrow
| A group of CCU employees volunteered their time at Change Today, Change Tomorrow’s #FeedTheWest grocery delivery program. We helped move groceries from vehicles to the food justice space, sorted donated produce and groceries, and then helped pack 160 meal bags for families in the West End. These meal packs contained meal-building staples, fresh, and organic fruits and vegetables, and other small snacks. On average, families receive $85 worth of groceries each week. The #FeedTheWest program picks up bulk grocery donations from Louisville stores such as Trader Joe's, then sorts, packs, and distributes meal bags directly to families in Louisville’s West end. Families can also request specialty items such as baby products and hygiene items. To learn more about #FeedTheWest, or learn how to get involved, visit: https://change-today.org/feedthewest/
Simon House Clothing Organization | A group of CCU team members volunteered their time at the Simon House to help sort and organize clothing donations. They also helped transport items to the local Goodwill on behalf of the Simon House.
- Celebrate Recovery | Team members at our Harrodsburg Branch chipped in to provide lunch for Harrodsburg's Celebrate Recovery Program. The Celebrate Recovery program serves the homeless hot meals daily. Commonwealth Credit Union cooked hotdogs, serviced chips, and drinks there.
- Campbellsville University Scholarships | Commonwealth Credit Union contributed to student scholarships and financial education to students and staff with the opening of the Commonwealth Credit Union Center for Health Sciences at Campbellsville University in Harrodsburg. We are proud to better the lives of students in our community by helping them further their education.
Ring of Fire Gatorade Drive | Our Frankfort, High Street, and Sower branches collected Gatorade, Powerade, and water for the Ring of Fire Ministries. This program delivers meals to homeless populations in Frankfort, Lexington, and Nicholasville. Our team members collected drinks that were given out to people as a hydrating drink during the summer.
Cardinal Cupboard | Commonwealth Credit Union helped open the Cardinal Cupboard on campus at the University of Louisville. The cupboard is a food resource center and is open to all members of the Cardinal community (students, staff, and faculty). Through fundraising and food drives, the Commonwealth Credit Union Cupboard increases accessibility to food and health products in an effort to reduce their financial burden so they can focus more on learning. We better the lives of those we serve!
Hurricane Ida Relief | In partnership with the American Red Cross, Commonwealth Credit Union helped people affected by Hurricane Ida. Commonwealth’s donation and challenge to match other individual and business donations up to $12,500 helped raise over $135,000 toward relief efforts.
Habitat for Humanity | We supported our local Habitat for Humanity in Scott County with multiple home builds by contributing water for those working.
- AMEN House Collection | Our two Georgetown branches partnered with the Georgetown Fire Department to host a food drive for the Amen House. Our team members helped coordinate collection boxes and delivering the food to the Amen House
- BackPack Snacks Delivery | Commonwealth Credit Union employees donated their time to help deliver backpack snacks to five schools in Franklin County. The Backpack Snack Program provides weekend meals to children in the City/County Schools who need assistance. We are bettering lives in our communities by feeding our kids, one meal at a time!
- Henry County Picnic Table Donation | Commonwealth Credit Union donated eight outdoor picnic tables and four trash cans to the students at Henry Co High School. They will be used to create seating in the courtyard to reward them for fostering financial literacy in their young adults through CCU’s financial education program.
- Bag Donation | Commonwealth Credit Union donated bags to Elkhorn Middle School in Franklin County. The bags will be used by the family resource coordinator to help better the lives of students in our community.
- Seven Counties Gift Cards | Commonwealth Credit Union donated 70 gift cards to Seven Counties Services for young adults who are homeless or at risk of being homeless in Louisville, KY. Seven Counties is a community mental health provider and also provides homeless services to young adults. The gift cards will be given to these young adults to help them secure immediate needs such as food, clothing, or toiletries.
- Pen Donation | To help serve those who serve us, we donated 3 boxes of pens to the Franklin County Sheriff’s Department. The pens will be used during tax season this year.
Landscaping Service Project | Commonwealth Credit Union employees donated their time to the Developmental Services Division of the Seven Counties Services by helping them mulch and landscape the outside area of the facilities. This location serves clients with developmental and intellectual disabilities.
Candy Donation | Commonwealth Credit Union donated 500 pieces of candy to the Fall Trunk or Treat at Collins Lane Elementary.