70 Acts of Service to Celebrate 70 Years of Service!
- Make A Wish Toy Drive | We collected over 400 toys and gift cards that will be used to welcome Wish Kids and their families into the Make A Wish program.
- Main Street Clean Sweep Frankfort | Commonwealth Credit Union employees donated their time to help clean up downtown Frankfort and Riverview Park with the Bluegrass Green Source Main Street Clean Sweep.
- Hammond Creek Dog Park Clean Up | Commonwealth Credit Union employees donated their time to help clean up the Hammond Creek Dog Park in Lawrenceburg with the Bluegrass Green Source Main Street Clean Sweep. We believe in helping keep our earth clean!
- Overlook Deck Clean Sweep | Commonwealth Credit Union employees donated their time to help clean up the Overlook Deck in Downtown Versailles with the Bluegrass Green Source Main Street Clean Sweep.
- Mercer County Main Street Clean Sweep | Commonwealth Credit Union employees donated their time to help clean up the Lions Community Center Carport with the Bluegrass Green Source Main Street Clean Sweep.
- Shred Day | We held a free community shred day on May 7th at our High Street location in Frankfort. We helped 294 people safely dispose of their old documents.
- Backpack Snack of Franklin County | During our Shred Day event, we also collected $150 and a truckload of non-perishable food (approximately 750 items).
- Teacher Appreciation | Our Financial Education Department prepared baskets filled with snacks to show our appreciation of teachers we work with throughout the Commonwealth. We also sent donuts to schools in Frankfort to pay tribute to our Frankfort roots.
- American Heart Association's Central Kentucky Heart Walk | Commonwealth Credit Union team members took the message of better heart health to the streets, collecting over $23,000 to help fight heart disease and stroke, helping families and communities thrive.
- Make-A-Wish Walk for Wishes | Our team members volunteered their time at the Make-A-Wish Walk for Wishes to hand out waters, help with their photo booth, and cheer on the Wish Kids, their families, and their supporters.
Habitat for Humanity | We supported our local Habitat for Humanity in Scott County with a home build by contributing water to those working.
- Ring of Fire Sandwich Benefit | Our team members donated their time to help assemble peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for a homeless meal delivery program in Frankfort, Lexington, and Nicholasville.
- Owen County Clean Up | Commonwealth Credit Union team members donated their time to help clean up Owen County alongside Owen County High School students.
- Sound the Alarm | In partnership with the American Red Cross, Commonwealth Credit Union helped the Sound the Alarm event. Home fires are the most frequent disaster, claiming seven lives every day. Having working smoke alarms can cut the risk of death by half. We helped support the installation of free smoke alarms, shared safety information in at-risk communities, and fundraised to help families prepare for, respond to, and recover from home fires.
- Be the Match Volunteer | Commonwealth Credit Union delivered breakfast and lunch to volunteers of the Be The Match event put on by the Louisville Urban League. Be The Match is an effort to match bone marrow donors with matching recipients. Learn more about donating here.
- Nursing Home Appreciation | Commonwealth Credit Union delivered gifts for nurses at nursing homes during National Nursing Home Week. We appreciate everything they do to keep our community and loved one’s safe.
- Donated Hand Sanitizers | Commonwealth Credit Union donated bottles of hand sanitizer to the Salvation Army.
- Blood Drive | In partnership with the American Red Cross, our team put together a Blood Drive at our High Street Branch. Volunteers put together snack bags for the donors and managed the donor appointments, filling up all of the available donor times.
- Make A Wish Toy Closet | When a child enters the Wish program, it can be somewhat of an overwhelming and scary time for them and their family. With so much uncertainty at that time, one thing the child can depend on is a fuzzy friend, a special doll, or an action hero figure that will be by their side from start to finish. In partnership with Make A Wish, we created the region's first Toy Closet that will be the centralized site for Wish toys, such as these, to be housed. The toy closet is located at our Hamburg Branch.
- Blessing Box | Team members collected items and filled blessing boxes around Harrodsburg. They filled the boxes with non-perishable food items.
- Donation for Mental Health Bags | We provided "mental health kits" to students in Anderson Co. to help them over summer vacation.
- Longest Day of Play | Commonwealth Credit Union donated water to the longest day of play in Lawrenceburg. We strive to better the lives of those in our communities.
- Ribbon Cutting for Make A Wish Toy Closet | Commonwealth Credit Union officially opened the Make A Wish Toy Closet at our Hamburg Branch in Lexington. We invited our Make A Wish kids and their families to the ribbon-cutting for a night of fun and toys.
- High School Scholarships | Commonwealth Credit Union awarded four high school seniors scholarships for college. Their submissions showed thoughtfulness, creativity, and a passion for bettering lives. We are proud to better the lives of students within our communities and help reward their academic achievements.
- Simon House Collection | Our Frankfort branches collected non-perishable food, cleaning supplies, and clothing items for the Simon House, located in Frankfort, Kentucky. The Simon House serves people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. They desperately needed items for their emergency shelter, which reached capacity in June 2021. The employees at our CCU branches in Frankfort donated 324 food, cleaning, and clothing items to the shelter.
LCCC’s Russell Resource Community Day | We volunteered time at LCCC’s Russell Resource Community Day. The community came together to provide a fun and resourceful event to the Russell Community. From free shoes to free books, it was a great event. We connected with community members to share the tools and resources we have to empower families in their journey to financial success – a critical part of the effort to advance equity.
Make-A-Wish Barbasol Suite Family Day | We hosted two Make-A-Wish families in our Suite at the 2021 Barbasol Championship for Family Day. Make-A-Wish is one of the 5 charities of the Barbasol’s Caddie127, their charitable arm. Together, we are bettering the lives of children across the Bluegrass.
#FeedTheWest with Change Today, Change Tomorrow | A group of CCU employees volunteered their time at Change Today, Change Tomorrow’s #FeedTheWest grocery delivery program. We helped move groceries from vehicles to the food justice space, sorted donated produce and groceries, and then helped pack 160 meal bags for families in the West End. These meal packs contained meal-building staples, fresh, and organic fruits and vegetables, and other small snacks. On average, families receive $85 worth of groceries each week. The #FeedTheWest program picks up bulk grocery donations from Louisville stores such as Trader Joe's, then sorts, packs, and distributes meal bags directly to families in Louisville’s West end. Families can also request specialty items such as baby products and hygiene items. To learn more about #FeedTheWest, or learn how to get involved, visit: https://change-today.org/feedthewest/
Simon House Clothing Organization | A group of CCU team members volunteered their time at the Simon House to help sort and organize clothing donations. They also helped transport items to the local Goodwill on behalf of the Simon House.
- Celebrate Recovery | Team members at our Harrodsburg Branch chipped in to provide lunch for Harrodsburg's Celebrate Recovery Program. The Celebrate Recovery program serves the homeless hot meals daily. Commonwealth Credit Union cooked hotdogs, serviced chips, and drinks there.
- Campbellsville University Scholarships | Commonwealth Credit Union contributed to student scholarships and financial education to students and staff with the opening of the Commonwealth Credit Union Center for Health Sciences at Campbellsville University in Harrodsburg. We are proud to better the lives of students in our community by helping them further their education.
Ring of Fire Gatorade Drive | Our Frankfort, High Street, and Sower branches collected Gatorade, Powerade, and water for the Ring of Fire Ministries. This program delivers meals to homeless populations in Frankfort, Lexington, and Nicholasville. Our team members collected drinks that were given out to people as a hydrating drink during the summer.
Cardinal Cupboard | Commonwealth Credit Union helped open the Cardinal Cupboard on campus at the University of Louisville. The cupboard is a food resource center and is open to all members of the Cardinal community (students, staff, and faculty). Through fundraising and food drives, the Commonwealth Credit Union Cupboard increases accessibility to food and health products in an effort to reduce their financial burden so they can focus more on learning. We better the lives of those we serve!
Hurricane Ida Relief | In partnership with the American Red Cross, Commonwealth Credit Union helped people affected by Hurricane Ida. Commonwealth’s donation and challenge to match other individual and business donations up to $12,500 helped raise over $135,000 toward relief efforts.
Habitat for Humanity | We supported our local Habitat for Humanity in Scott County with multiple home builds by contributing water for those working.
- AMEN House Collection | Our two Georgetown branches partnered with the Georgetown Fire Department to host a food drive for the Amen House. Our team members helped coordinate collection boxes and delivering the food to the Amen House
- BackPack Snacks Delivery | Commonwealth Credit Union employees donated their time to help deliver backpack snacks to five schools in Franklin County. The Backpack Snack Program provides weekend meals to children in the City/County Schools who need assistance. We are bettering lives in our communities by feeding our kids, one meal at a time!
- Henry County Picnic Table Donation | Commonwealth Credit Union donated eight outdoor picnic tables and four trash cans to the students at Henry Co High School. They will be used to create seating in the courtyard to reward them for fostering financial literacy in their young adults through CCU’s financial education program.
- Bag Donation | Commonwealth Credit Union donated bags to Elkhorn Middle School in Franklin County. The bags will be used by the family resource coordinator to help better the lives of students in our community.
- Seven Counties Gift Cards | Commonwealth Credit Union donated 70 gift cards to Seven Counties Services for young adults who are homeless or at risk of being homeless in Louisville, KY. Seven Counties is a community mental health provider and also provides homeless services to young adults. The gift cards will be given to these young adults to help them secure immediate needs such as food, clothing, or toiletries.
- Pen Donation | To help serve those who serve us, we donated 3 boxes of pens to the Franklin County Sheriff’s Department. The pens will be used during tax season this year.
Landscaping Service Project | Commonwealth Credit Union employees donated their time to the Developmental Services Division of the Seven Counties Services by helping them mulch and landscape the outside area of the facilities. This location serves clients with developmental and intellectual disabilities.
Candy Donation | Commonwealth Credit Union donated 500 pieces of candy to the Fall Trunk or Treat at Collins Lane Elementary.
Community Gas Giveaway | To give back to the communities we serve, Commonwealth Credit Union randomly gave out one hundred $25 gas gift cards at the Kroger fuel center in Harrodsburg, Kentucky. At the end of the day, we helped fuel $2,500 worth of gas to help those in our community!
- Member Appreciation Giveback Drawings | Commonwealth Credit Union made 24 random payments to our members as part of our daily giveback drawings for Member Appreciation Week! As our way of showing our appreciation for being part of the Commonwealth Credit Union family, we paid an Auto Loan payment, a Mortgage payment, a HELOC payment, and a Credit Card payment each day of Member Appreciation Week.
- Thanksgiving Food Box for Seniors | Lawrenceburg Branch collected canned green beans, corn, cranberry sauce, boxed dressing, jars of turkey gravy, instant mash potatoes and mac and cheese for the Anderson County Senior Center.
- Candlelight Ice Skating Rink | Commonwealth Credit Union sponsored a free ice skating rink for the Frankfort community as part of the Candlelight Tradition in downtown Frankfort. Guests could skate, visit Santa, and even drop off their letters to Santa.
- Winter Backpack Mission | Commonwealth Credit Union collected sweatshirts and hoodies for the Ring of Fire Ministries Winter Backpack Mission. The Winter Backpack Mission is a project that provides 260 backpacks full of wool winter socks, toboggan caps, sweatshirts, hygiene products, medical supplies, and sleeping bags/tarps. These backpacks will go to the homeless populations in Lexington, Frankfort and Nicholasville to help them during the cold winter months. Commonwealth Credit Union employees collected 37 sweatshirts and hoodies.
- Woodford Warriors Healing through Hunting | Commonwealth Credit Union donated $500 to support the wounded warriors in Versailles. This contribution covered the food expenses of the wounded warriors on a hunting trip retreat.
- Give For Good | Commonwealth Credit Union participated in the Community Foundation of Louisville’s Give For Good. Give for Good represents Louisville’s vital needs that are not being met, and they develop forward thinking solutions to take initiative to make positive changes. Commonwealth Credit Union donated $3,000 to the Louisville Metro Police Foundation.
- Ballistic Vest Donation | In support of the Lincoln county Sheriff's Office, Commonwealth Credit Union purchased three ballistic vests for officers in the department. The ballistic vests are fitted specifically to the officer wearing it, and provide bullet proof protection. These vests allow deputies to serve and protect the community by increased safety measures.
- Grocery Giveaway | To give back to the communities we serve, Commonwealth Credit Union randomly gave out fifty $25 gas gift cards at the Meijer Way grocery store in Lexington, Kentucky. At the end of the day, we helped pay for $1,250 worth of groceries to help those in our community!
- Louisville Coat Drive Free Coat Exchange | We supported our local Louisville community by being coat collection sites.
- Greenhouse17 | Commonwealth Credit Union employees donated their time to the non-profit organization Greenhouse17 in Lexington. Employees helped clean and organize their crafts room at the shelter. This included organizing yarn, cloth, sewing materials, and sweeping and mopping the floor. Greenhouse17 provides services to domestic violence survivors in the following counties, which are all within our field of membership - Anderson, Bourbon, Boyle, Clark, Estill, Fayette, Franklin, Garrard, Harrison, Jessamine, Lincoln, Madison, Mercer, Nicholas, Powell, Scott, and Woodford County. Learn more about GreenHouse17 here.
- Christmas Parades | Commonwealth Credit Union bettered the lives of 5 communities this holiday season by participating in 5 Christmas Parades across the communities we serve. We were in the Shelbyville, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, Harrodsburg, and Frankfort Parades.
- Toys for Tots | Commonwealth Credit Union helped collect Christmas gifts for Toys for Tots in our Frankfort, Georgetown, and Lexington branches. We collected over 100 toys!
- Shop with a Cop | Commonwealth Credit Union helped collect Christmas gifts for the Shop with a Cop program at our Louisville branches. We helped collect over 50 toys!
- Grocery Gift Card Giveaways | During the holiday season, Commonwealth Credit Union gave back to our communities by randomly passing out gift cards to shoppers at the Lawrenceburg Walmart and a Lexington Kroger. At the end of the day, we helped pay for $2,500 worth of groceries to help those in our community during the holiday season! Recipients could use their gift card to buy groceries, gifts, or they could give it away to someone else in need.
- UofL Finals Gift Card Giveaway | To help raise spirits during finals week, Commonwealth Credit Union randomly gave away $1,250 worth of gift cards to UofL students. Students could pick from a basket of gift cards from Starbucks, Amazon, Kroger, and more.
- American Red Cross Tornado Relief Telethon | Commonwealth Credit Union employees volunteered their time to support the American Red Cross Tornado Relief Telethon. Volunteers helped answer phones to take donations. In the end, the American Red Cross Tornado Relief Telethon helped raise over $3 million for those affected by the Western Kentucky tornado disaster.
- Gift Cards to Foster Parents | Commonwealth Credit Union gave gift cards to Subway to new foster parents as a small way of saying ‘Thank you’ to those generous enough to open their homes to children in need.
- Make-A-Wish Letters to Santa | Commonwealth Credit Union provided letters for children to write to Santa, then donated each letter to the Macy’s Make-A-Wish campaign. This campaign donated $1 for each letter to the Make-A-Wish, which helped grant life changing wishes to children with critical illnesses. These letters to Santa helped Commonwealth Credit Union donate over $250 to Make-A-Wish.
- Random Holiday Gift Cards | In 6 communities that we serve, we randomly showed up to a gas station or store and handed out gift cards to shoppers at the pump or check out line to help people pay for gas or groceries this holiday season. What a special way to spread the CCU ripple in the communities we serve.
100 $25 gift cards at the Harrodsburg gas station
50 $25 gift cards at the Meijer grocery store near our Meijer Way branch
50 $25 gift cards at the Walmart grocery store in Lawrenceburg
50 $25 gift cards at the Thorton’s Gas station on Cane Run Road in Louisville
50 $25 gift cards to UofL students to encourage them during finals week
50 $25 gift cards at the Bryan Station Kroger in Lexington
50 $25 gift cards at the Huck’s Gas Station in Shelbyville
$7,500 worth of gift cards for gas and groceries given directly to the members of our communities.