Commonwealth Credit Union Scholarships
Application Deadline is Friday, March 15
Since 2001, Commonwealth Credit Union has rewarded one of our members who is a graduating high school senior with this academic-based award. The scholarship provides $500 per semester and up to $4,000 over the course of the college education. All applicants must have a primary membership account at Commonwealth CU to be eligible. If the student is not currently a member, click below for a membership application.
In 2013, we are offering TWO scholarships:
“Reach for the Stars” Scholarship
Scholarship specifically for members that have overcome a physical or learning disability:
“Reach for Excellence” Scholarship
The application considers both scholastic achievement, extra-curricular activities, and community involvement. A panel of independent judges review each application and work together to determine the winners.
The application is available at all Kentucky high school guidance counselor offices, in our branches, and online beginning in January.
Click Here for verification of Disability Form & Disclosure (Adam Bender Scholarship only)
Please make sure you have collected all necessary information and your application is complete:
- Completed and signed Commonwealth Credit Union membership application for student, if not a Commonwealth Credit Union member. Joint membership information completed if student is under the age of 18 (or parent wishes to be joint).
- $5.00 check/money order to open Commonwealth Credit Union membership, if not a current member.
- Copy of valid driver’s license to open Commonwealth Credit Union membership, if not a current member. (Copy of valid driver’s license for joint member, if applicable.)
- Two letters of recommendation: ONE from a school leader and ONE from a community, church or non-family member. Copy of official high school transcript - GPA of 2.8 required.
- Verification of Disability Form and Disclosure - Adam Bender Scholarship only.
You can submit everything online by attaching your transcript and letters of recommendation to your application. Or you can download the PDF version to complete and send in all items via mail.
2012 - Emma J. Engleman, Owen County High School
2012 - Brianna N. Lee, Woodford County High School
2011 - Evan Wright, Frankfort High School
2011 - Catherine Mountain, Franklin County High School
2010 - Sarah Blakeman, Elizabethtown High School
2010 - Johnathan Bilbro, Muhlenburg County High School
2010 - James Hines, The McCallie School (Chattanooga, TN)
2010 - Elizabeth Hollis, Meade County High School
2009 - Oakley Watkins, Franklin County High School
2009 - Khercie Smith, Clay County High School
2009 - McKinley Heflin, McLean County High School
2009 - Laura Brown, Lyon County High School
2008 - Dustin Robinson, Nicholas County High School
2007 - Shima Dowla, Dunbar High School
2006 - Jacob Wade Turner, Perry County Central High School
2005 - Matthew Akridge, Breckinridge County High School
2004 - James Bailey, Boyd County High School
2003 - Scott Moore, Breckinridge County High School
2002 - Archanna Thangappan, Franklin County High School
2001 - Bradley Tate, Breckinridge County High School